I don't often eat tofu, but I do enjoy a nice plate of "tofu scramble" from time to time. A little nutritional yeast makes this dish reminiscent of a traditional cheesy scramble made with eggs, however its still 100% vegan! Here's my recipe; you're more than welcome to substitute any veggies for the ones mentioned... Also, feel free to experiment with other herbs and seasoning! Think of this recipe as a template and get creative. :)
- Slice your tofu and wrap the slices in a few paper towels. Press it between your hands, using the paper towels or a clean cloth to absorb any excess moisture from the tofu. Set it aside.
- Begin warming your olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat.
- Sauté the mushrooms and broccoli in olive oil until lightly softened.
- Add the tofu to the pan, crumbling the slices between your fingers in to scrambled egg sized chunks.
- Continue to cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- Once any extra liquid has evaporated, add your spinach. I used two big handfuls as it cooks down pretty dramatically in size.
- If you're making a side of toast, now is a good time to put it in the toaster...
- Continue to cook until the spinach starts to wilt, stirring occasionally.
- Remove pan from heat. Season with salt, pepper, nutritional yeast and garlic powder.
This recipe was for two people. Serve with toast and tea for a delicious breakfast, anytime of day!
Have a lovely Sunday! ~ea