Upcycled a pair of old, black maryjane pumps with sparkly gold toes & heels!
So simple to do, and such a fun finished look...
What you'll need:
- solid color pumps/flats
- gloss finish Mod Podge
- painter's tape
- sponge brush
- gold tone acrylic paint
- gold craft glitter
- exacto knife
- newspaper to cover your workspace
- First, clean & dry the surface of your pumps thoroughly if necessary.
- Using your painter's tape, tape of the areas to be painted. make sure the edges are pressed down well to prevent any excess paint from seeping where it's not supposed to be.
- Using your gold tone acrylic paint, paint your designated sections evenly using your brush. (I used two coats, drying for 10mins between coats)
- While your gold paint is still wet...
- Lightly sprinkle your gold craft glitter onto the wet paint. This step is pretty hard to mess up... just try not to get glitter everywhere, and have fun! :P
- Over the newspaper, carefully shake off any excess glitter.
- While the paint is still wet: GENTLY peel off the painter's tape.
- Set your shoes aside for a few hours to dry completely.
- Once your paint/glitter is dry, reapply new strips of painter's tape to the edges of the gold glitter...
- Lightly sponge an even layer of Mod Podge over the layers of gold paint and glitter. *Try your best to not pick up too much glitter with the brush, but a little bit is obviously inevitable. :)
- (optional second light dusting of gold glitter)
- While the Mod Podge is still wet, careful peel away the tape, cleaning up any smudgy edges with a bit of tissue or a q-tip.
- Let this layer dry. (the Mod Podge will turn clear when it's dry)
- With a steady hand (or feel free to reapply new tape strips) finish with a final coat of Mod Podge.
- Let everything dry overnight.
- Enjoy your new awesome shoes!